Thursday, January 17, 2013

Obama takes action against gun violence

“I feel terrible for the parents who lost their children…I love my country and [I] want everybody to be happy and safe.” Julia, 3rd grade
“I think there should be some changes. We should learn from what happened at Sandy Hook…I feel really bad.” Hinna
“I’m not scared for my safety, I’m scared for others. I have four brothers and sisters and I know I would not be able to bear the thought of losing any of them.” Grant

The tragical school shootings that have taken place in the USA in the past years have made the U.S. law enforcement community and the wider public to seek ways for keeping guns out of the hands of dangerous people.

33 days have passed since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, where 20 children and 7 staff members lost their lives. It was the second deadliest school shooting in the USA since the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007.

Today, Barack Obama, the president of the USA, announced that action that shall be taken to reduce gun violence in the USA. Among other things, Obama brought out the following actions that should make the American people feel safer in their country again:
  • Requiring a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun;
  • Banning military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines;
  • Making schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans;
  • Increasing access to mental health services;
  • Giving law enforcement, schools, mental health professionals and the public health community additional tools to prevent gun crime.

Watch the Obama's speech and him signing the directive issuing 23 executive actions to reduce gun violence:

Read the White House fact sheet about the 23 actions signed by the president.

Now, the proposals have to pass Congress to come into effect. Let's hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment